DISCLAIMER

THIS BLOG IS CREATED PURELY FOR PERSONAL ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES. THE AUTHOR OR OWNER OF THIS BLOG HAS ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS AND OBTAINED ABSOLUTELY NO PERMISSION WHATSOEVER WITH THE PARTIES MENTIONED IN THIS BLOG. ANY RESEMBLANCE TO PERSONS LIVING OR DEAD IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL AND PROBABLY A FIGMENT OF YOUR IMAGINATION.
Free online advertising

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

FIREFLY

FIREFLY brings the fun back into flying....
Such is their motto.

I bet I had fun!

I was back in KL for a meeting, and a short weekend. I was supposed to fly back to Langkawi on Monday, aboard Firefly Flight FY3224 scheduled at 12:10 hours. I was getting ready to leave my house when I got an sms at 9:19.


I was prewarned by some of my friends who heard of rumours that Firefly always reschedule or cancel their flights. Being an adventurous person, I always wanted to experience something for the first time. It was also for the fact that Firefly operates from Subang Airport, which is just a short distance from my house compared to KLIA. Hence, I booked a flight with Firefly.


Upon receiving the sms, I immediately called the number provided. Yes, it's confirmed that my flight has been postponed. I guess it's due to the low capacity of passengers that caused the postponement. I arrived at Subang Airport at 13:20 hours. I was shocked by the condition of the airport. It is dark and old. There weren't many people. There's only one check in counter, that is for Firefly. 2 food vendors operate upstairs, fast food and Malay food.



At 15:00 sharp, they announced the boarding of flight FY3200. I was surprised to see how small the twin turbo Fokker is. The height is merely 3m and the length less than half of an Airbus 320. As I entered the plane, it reminds me of my schooling days. I used to take a bus to school. There are 4 seats on a row, 2 on the left and 2 on the right. The aisle is narrow. If I'm not mistaken, the plane capacity is about 40-50 pax. We were seated while waiting for take off. It was hot as the air condition wasn't working well at the beginning, but soon it was ok. The taking off was scary, it was as if the plane couldn't gain enough momentum to take off. But, the landing is even more scary. We were flying at 400-500km/h. Not really sure of the height, but I could see the oil palm plantation below me, for the whole journey. When we were about to land, I saw the plane passed the runway fence but still at a high altitude. It was going very fast, and dipping very fast too....Oh My God....I was thinking "God, please save me". We passed quite a distance before the wheels touched the ground. The plane swayed a bit to the left and a bit to the right. "Is the runway long enough?" Luckily it is. We landed safely. If you ask me, it wasn't a good landing. It made my balls shrank....really. The passenger next to me, unfortunately flying for the first time, almost puked! Her face looked pale and horrible! Phew....I'm glad it was all over very quickly.

It's such a bad first time experience. Actually, I did make a few bookings with Firefly before this. Now I'll have second thoughts about all this. My life is too precious to be left on the hands of the pilot and the plane.


I hope Firefly will find another approach in their business plan. Otherwise, they will be wiped out in a year. I don't think any passenger on their flights will ever go on a second flight. I'd rather take the trouble to go to KLIA, for a safer and more comfortable flight. After all, we only live once....

No comments: